Monday, October 5, 2009

fall food storage!

I love the fall!

Out of all the seasons of the year fall is definitly the best season to be living with my mother! We have been working non-stop for the past 6 weeks on food storage! We have canned dozens of jars of salsa and marinara sauce, made about 150lbs of apples into yummy applesauce and applepie filling. Both my mom and I had a huge zuchinni harvest this year. We made over 50 loaves of zuchinni bread and have well over 100lbs shredded and frozen for more bread! I also made 8 jars of pumpkin pie filling from our giganitc miracle pumpkin (I thought my pumpkin plant died and then one day there was a huge pumpkin in the tomato plants). We are having alot of fun with the dehydrator too! I discovered that 16 bell peppers is about 1 quart dried. We also dried at least 16lbs carrots and a bunch of bananas for banana bread. She also had the dry pack canner from the stake for a while so we canned a few hundred #10 cans of flours, sugar, noodles, rice, powdered milk, popcorn but no wheat : ) ! I am finally proud of my food storage even though it is still small at least it is growing alittle! We are almost done with everything- finally! There is not much room left for everything. Her freezers (yes plural) in the garage are busting at the seam and we can't even close the door to the food storage room! Her house is a disaster because we always have something going on in the kitchen! I have learned so much from her and almost feel like I might be able to can on my own next year!

We are using the Wendy DeWitt food storage program!

Check out her blog at everythingunderthesun.blogspot.com

Scroll to her first post and it will explain her program!

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so impressed and slightly jealous. I tried to make some meals to freeze before Jared comes and could only fit like 3 containers in there with all the other stuff. It made me realize that hey I do want an additional freezer one day! Hope you are having fun in Loveland!

    ReplyDelete

Daisypath Anniversary tickers